What is bondaweb?
Bondaweb enables you to applique without pins. It is a piece of paper which, on one side, has a web of heat-activated glue. You can draw your shape onto the paper side then iron it onto fabric, cut the fabric shape out, remove the paper and iron the fabric shape onto a backing piece. It enables you to make your applique very neat and precise - and you won't prick you fingers on pins!
How to applique letters using bondaweb
|What you'll need|
1. Print out a letter of the size and font that you like on the computer. You could also trace a letter or draw one by hand. I would recommend keeping the shape quite simple to start with as this will be easier to both cut and sew.
2. Cut out your printed letter.
3. Reverse the letter and draw around it on the smooth side of the bondaweb. You need to reverse the letter so it reads the correct way on your finished item. The smooth side of the bondaweb is the side without the web of glue.
|Reverse letter and draw around it on smooth side of bondaweb|
5. Take the fabric you want to cut your letter from and iron it flat. Place it with the back facing you on the ironing board. Carefully place the bondaweb letter on top of the fabric.
|Iron fabric flat, turn over and iron bondaweb letter on|
|Cut fabric shape out|
6. Leave the fabric and bondaweb to cool for a couple of minutes before cutting out the letter shape, right on the pencil line that you drew.
7. Place the fabric letter onto your backing fabric. You need to try to get it straight. I folded my 12" square backing piece into quarters so
|Get the position of the letter right before ironing in place|
8. When you're happy with the placement of the letter iron it in place. This is the point of no return!
|Sew the letter in place with the stitch of your choice|
10. Congratulations! You have finished your letter applique. You can now make up your finished item. whether its a cushion, a quilt, an apron or anything else.
If you follow this tutorial I'd love to see your finished item. Snap a picture on your smart phone and add it to twitter or instagram tagging @ByElsieB.
If all this sounds like too much fuss and bother for you - why not just pop over to my Etsy store and buy a monogrammed pillow there.
If you know a baby and are looking for ideas for baby gifts, sign up for my baby gift guide which covers new baby, Christening /Baptism, first Christmas and first birthday. You'll also get 10% off in my shop. You will also get emails every now and then from me about my handmade world - what's new on the blog, what's new in the shop, craft fairs and other relevant news. Just pop your email address in the box below and click the big pink button!